Monday, July 14, 2014

An American Girl's Hot Potato Salad + Picnic Hop Link-Up


An American Girl’s Hot Potato Salad
I started out making a recipe for a potato salad that I found in Women’s Day but I scrapped it and made it my own.  To me it’s really a simpler version of German potato salad. I wish I had more pictures to post along with it but I forgot to take many when I made it.

Ingredients

Salad:
4 lbs of red potatoes
6 strips of bacon
Half of a small red onion
2 ears of corn

Dressing:
1 cup of sugar
½ cup of apple cider vinegar
½ cup of Wesson oil
¼ tsp of pepper
¼ tsp salt

Directions:
1.       Place potatoes in a large pot and bring to boil. When they come to a boil add salt to taste. Keep cooking until they are just tender.
2.       Cook bacon until crisp. I usually just put the bacon in microwave but I think frying them might add better flavor.
3.       Cut up onion into small strips and crumble the bacon.
4.       Remove corn from the cob, the corn doesn’t need to be cooked at all, just taken off.
5.       Whisk all of the ingredients of the dressing together.
6.       When potatoes are done drain them and then chop into rough pieces. I don’t pay attention to size, just small enough that you can get a bite.
7.       Add all of the onion, bacon, and corn into the potatoes.
8.       Mix in dressing and then you’re done!

German potato salad is one of my all-time favorite recipes and this recipe is so much simpler than the normal one I use but you get the same taste. I also love the addition of corn since sweet corn basically means summer in Indiana! If you try the recipe and like it be sure to comment! 

This recipe is part of a #picnichop!

We want to show case anything that reminds you of summer! 

The hosts are:

An American Girl

Midwestern Moms

Ready, Set, Parenthood

iNeed a Playdate

A Year of Homeschooling

You can find their contributions to the linkup along with other amazing posts on their blogs, so check them out! 

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a big potato salad person, but this looks delicious! I think I'll have to give it a try!!

    Hayden
    www.mylifeashayden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really not a fan of traditional potato salad either but I love German potato salad and that's what this recipe reminds me of! Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the addition of corn! What a great idea! Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete